Wednesday 30 July 2008

Day 2 - Nirza to Kaunata

27km (59km) - 7 hours 45 minutes - weather overcast

I should not have tried a shortcut. An hour and a half of bush-bashing was the result. In shorts and without gaiters. The larger scale map showed a track going through and saving a couple of kms. The more recent map showed the track petering out. And so it did. We could have gone back a few kms. I tried to find the bridge over the creek. Instead we walked through the thickest collection of exotic weeds I have ever seen - Day of the Triffids stuff.
I checked later for ticks but seem to have avoided them. The mozzies have been particlarly fearsome today and that is one of my excuses for not having given the matter more thought - it was difficult to hang around discussing things.
We emerged near a small lake (about 250m across). There was a house close by and we spoke to couple who were sitting outside, the old man taking my map and pointing out the local sights.

We had some pleasant forest walking, the terrain getting more undulating as we approach Latgale's high country.
Plenty of old farmhouses and outbuldings, but all with more recent asbestos roofs. Many abandoned houses. Primitive subsistence farming seems to be the main activity. Animals are tethered and rarely enclosed. One of the properties had a traditional well and water-raising device.
A couple more impressive churches - both closed.



The blog is being published in a roundabout way - I type it on my mobile office and send it through to Anita, Michael in Geelong or (today) Juris in Riga. I should be able to do it from my mobile but I haven't quite got the hang of it.


It is worth recording what I am carrying. I wear a cap (with Lawrence of Arabia protection), a light thermal top, shorts, a watch, map case and compass, this mobile office (htc something) and the charger and conversion plug, thick walking socks and my Scarpa boots. I have a 35lt Salomon pack. In the top section is my passport, wallet, sunglasses and a Swiss army knife. In the outside pocket is my light rain jacket and overpants and sunscreen, insect repellant (2), toilet paper, a roll of Leukosilk and a tube of sanitising hand gel.
My toilet bag contains an electric razor and cord, toothbrush and paste, dental floss, mouthguard, shampoo/conditioner, soap, hairbrush, eyedrops, more Leukosilk, Amolin, anti-rash cream, moisturiser and nail clippers. I have my (basic) rogaining first aid kit and a packet of Amoxycillin capsules. Ziedonis has the anti- diarrhea tablets.
I am carrying a couple of tops Anita left at Nirza. My spare clothes are a light warm jacket, 3 pairs of socks, a long-sleeved Merino top and a lighter top, long pants, 2 pairs of underpants, bathers, a couple of handkerchiefs and running shorts. Also a small towel, a headlamp, a plastic cup and spoon. I carry 2 litres of water in 2 water bottles in side pockets of the pack. Food - currently I have a plastic container with mixed fruit and nuts, dried apricots and dates, a second packet of fruit and nuts, a packet of almonds, 6 instant soup packets and a packets of sugar-free lollies. Tomorrow I will also carry a cheese sandwich and a couple of bananas.
I have 10 1:50,000 maps and about 20 maps ripped out of the motoring maps book - 1:200,000 for the countryside and 1:10,000 for the larger towns. Also a copy of the planned route and an accommodation spreadsheet, and a biro. Finally, 2 novels, Peter Prince's Adam Runaway and Sadie Jones's The Outcast.
Not exactly travelling light - I would welcome suggestions about which of these essential items I could do without.

No comments: