Friday 11 July 2008

The Proposal

I am in Latvia until mid-September when I will compete in the 8th World Rogaining Championships in southern Estonia. To prepare for the rogaining event and to get to know the Latvian countryside better, I am planning a walk across Latvia from the border with Russia in the east to the Baltic Sea in the west.

As the crow flies, this is about 450 km; for the route I have chosen, it is closer to 700 km. I will carry a day pack and will need to find accommodation each night. Generally, Latvia is fairly closely settled and the walk will not take me far from civilization.

However, I have planned to walk on minor roads and forest tracks and this means that the options are limited unless I want to sleep out. There are also some places I want to visit - friends' houses where I will stay, and some of the more interesting natural and historical attractions.

I plan to start at Pasiene, close to the Russian border, on about 27 July. Hopefully, about 24 days later I will arrive at Liepaja, Latvia's third largest city and a port on the Baltic Sea. In later posts I will set out in more detail the preparations I have made and, more specifically, how I hope to achieve my goal.

3 comments:

Lija Andersone said...

its such an amazing plan!!! it would be a great experiance!!! it is going to be interesting to hear how you go during the walk!!!

Unknown said...

It's great to see you up and running with the Blog and I hope you will be able to update it on the go during your walk. I look forward to following your progress

Pēteris Dārziņš said...

Sveiks Graham!

Novēlu labu ceļa vēju. This is a traditional Latvian farewell. Literally translated it means "I wish you a good wind for your path" - obviously it has a nautical derivation, but you too might like a gentle breeze on your back for the walk to keep you cool and to keep flies away.

I am thrilled to see your Blog is up - I will take it to Latvian school this Saturday to use in my Geography classes.