Friday 8 August 2008

Day 11 - Near Skujene to near Zaube

32km (345km) - 6 hours 50 minutes - weather fine

Getting to Zaube was always going to be a highlight.














It is probably about half the distance I will travel. But, more importantly, I feel like I have dropped in at home.
The second half of the walk today, from near Annas, was country I had walked over about 3 or 4 years ago when I stayed with Gunta and did some local walks. Most were disastrous because the Russian map I was using was about 50 years out of date and the tracks marked were completely overgrown and unrecognisiblle from the surrounding bush.
The Project Blog Manager, Juris, phoned me during the day suggesting we should meet. I was 45 minutes out of Zaube and Juris was on his way back to Cesis from Licupe (my destination tomorrow night).

We arrived at Zaube at much the same time. At the local shop, Juris bought me a bottle of vodka; he said I should carry it with me in case the blister burst. If the pain is too great, I can drink the vodka, otherwise I could use to sterilise the affected area.
Juris is an old friend from Melbourne, though originally a Latvian Pom. He married Selga and settled in Australia. Their daughters, Liana and Lelde were 10 and 7 when they moved to Latvia in 1995. Lelde is presently at a camp at Licupe where she is instructing young Latvians from Latvia, other places in Europe and even one from Australia. Lelde had to make a rush trip to the UK (where she has been studying) this week. Juris had picked her up at the airport and driven her back to the camp.
And I will be at the camp tomorrow because Lija is one of the students and at 4pm will be their final concert before returning to Riga on Sunday. It was not planned this way and it is amazing how things have turned out. Lija has very much enjoyed the camp but has had ear problems.
Anita has now arrived here after a day at Valmiera for the opening of an art exhibition by Latvians living outside Latvia. A bonus was that she was able to catch up with probably the sole surviving relative on her mother's side - a theatre director still working in his 80s.
Back to Juris. He drove to Gunta's and I followed on foot. We both agreed that the blog comments added considerably to it. For my part, I very much appreciate your messages and would like to be able to respond personally. I have however been picking away on this machine for over 4 hours and I must get to bed.
We have eaten well tonight. It makes a big difference. Last night was a packet soup dinner and I made a very sluggish start this morning.
Anita came home saying, 'People want to know what you are feeling, not just what you are doing'. We shall see. I have been working up to writing about, Why am I walking across Latvia? It may be difficult to be completely honest But I will give it a go; one of these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dad. i'll be honest, i'm having a party tonight with lit and ali. we're keeping up to date with what you're up to and the house is trashed. wish i was with you in zaube. janite X. Hi graham - its lit. How you going? we're having a good time. good luck with the walking - really proud of you and its great to read your blog. love lit.