Friday 8 August 2008

Responses to questions from Melbourne Latvian School Geography students.

What will you take with you that is very important to you?
My boots are the most important, because if my feet don't make it, the rest of me also won't. There are plenty of other things I couldn't do without - a pack, maps and compass, spare socks and other clothing. I could probably survive 3 weeks without a book to read, but I would not be happy with that.

Do you have any fears about anything you might possibly encounter?
I would not like to meet any bandits in the middle of nowhere, but they must be staying in Riga. I would not like to meet a bear or a wild pig, but that is also unlikely. I saw a snake on the road, but it was dead and there is only one sort of snake in Latvia that is poisonous

Do your legs ache after the walking?
My legs ache a little bit though that seems to have settled down, my knees ache sometimes, but my feet ache after each day's walking. The biggest problem is the blister on the inside of the left heel. It gets biggger each day, may burst in the next day or so.


Does your mobile phone work everywhere?
Yes, there now seems to be coverage over the whole of Latvia although when Mark was walking with me, he said that there were places where the reception was not very good.

Do you have the right clothing for the weather conditions?
I have been very lucky as each day has been fine. One day it drizzled for a couple of minutes while I was walking and once it bucketed down soon afer arrival. It has also rained overnight once or twice. My pants and top are made of a special synthetic material that dries quickly if it gets wet. I am carrying a light, but very good NZ rain jacket and light waterproof overpants. If it rains, the only part of me to get wet would be my boots. This can be a problem if the rain continues and the boots cannot be dried. Wet boots mean wet, soft feet which are more easily damaged when walking on hard surfaces like roads. I am carrying 3 spare tops, one of which is of Merino wool that is very warm, even when wet. I also carry a light polar fleece jacket which I wear most evenings with the Merino top.
To cope with the hot weather, I wear a long sleeved top and a cap or hat. On really hot days I might wear long pants, but usually I prefer to wear shorts. I also use sunscreen.

How long is this walk compared to your other walks?
The walk over the Australian Alps in 2005 was 680km and took 38 days. The walking was harder because we were in the mountains and we averaged 18km each day. In 1987, Anita and I walked 200km over 10 days in the Loire Valley in France. That was pretty easy for me, though Anita was pregnant. I have walked the Oxfam trail from Jells Park to Warrandyte 3 times and once in reverse (not backwards but from Warrandyte to Jells Park). That is 100km (though twice it was reduced to 90km because of the weather) and I have completed it in under 24 hours. I have done lots of bushwalks over a number of days - in January 2005, from Warrandyte to Mt Baw Baw was 100km in 5 days. I did 115km once in a 50 hour rogaine and in 24 hour rogaines I usually complete 70-80km.

How are you going with food, water and fleas?
Food has occasionally been difficult. At Barkava, there were no cooking facilities and the shop had shut early because it was Sunday. Usually, there are facilities to at least boil water which means, I can have soup, tea, eggs or porridge. Most towns have a kafejnica where I can have a big meal. I try to ensure that I have all the food groups covered - if I can't get meat, I have eggs or nuts. Water I have bought in bottles and has not been a problem. I have at least a litre of fluids before setting out, I carry 2 litres and often buy more and I drink more fluids when I arrive each day. I don't think I have encountered fleas or bed-bugs. Mosquitoes and march flies have been a problem. I don't like spraying on repellant as it is usually ineffective except if used at toxic levels. Usually I can out-walk the mozzies and flies, but over the first few days when we moved slowly through thick bush, I was bitten many times. I have got a back pack as well.

Has the going been difficult?
Yes. 30km each day is a testing distance, particularly on hard or unstable roads. Where there are gravel roads, sometimes the gravel is thick and slippery or the pieces are of an inconvenient size and it hurts to stand on them. I usually walk for about 7 hours each day. I like to keep moving and often walk 10km or more, or for a couple of hours without a break. When I stop it is not for long. Even when I finish for the day, there may be meals to prepare, planning for the next day's walking and writing up the blog which takes at least 2 hours. My pack probably weighs at least 10kg, which is much better than 17kg which I was carrying for the first few days.

Have you enjoyed yourself so far?
Yes, of course! I expected it would be hard. I have enjoyed walking with Ziedonis and Mark, meeting lots of Latvians and speaking the language, seeing lots of interesting places, staying with friends along the way and keeping in touch with large numbers of people in Latvia, Australia and many other places through the blog.

What is your favourite place so far, and which might end up being your favourite place?
The border area was fascinating. We needed a permit to go within about 5km of the border. We came within 20 or so metres of Russia and Belarus at an isolated and mysterious location. It was like being in a spy movie.

Of the various attractions you have seen which is your favourite?
The park at Varaklani was laid out when the present manor house was built in the 1780s, about the time Captain Cook met the aboriginal occupants of Australia. The trees are mainly oaks and lindens and the park is well maintained and very beautiful.

Which place that you have visited had the most people?
So far, Rezekne, but I plan to go through Jelgava and finish at Liepaja, both of which have more people.

Have you seen storks as you walk?
Lots of storks, both in their typical nests on top of something high, and scratching around in paddocks. And flying around. I haven't been able to identify too many other birds. There has been some wildlife, but a lot has been dead on roadsides - fox, wolf (I think), porcupines, little frogs and big toads.

What has the weather been like?
Fine, with temperatures generally between about 15C early in the morning, on some days getting up to about 25C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Graham
I will take these to school next week.
PÄ“teris