Thursday 14 August 2008

Day 17 - Billites (near Iecava) to Jelgava

28km (506km) - 6 hours 15 minutes - weather fine and windy

Jelgava is one of Latvia's largest cities with some impressive public buildings. The castle is, I think, the largest in Latvia and has housed the university for some years - Anita's paternal grandfather, a professor of agriculture, taught there.
I am at the Tobago restaurant, named after the former Latvian colony. The story is unclear to me but it seems that the island was claimed by one of Latvia's German barons in the 17th century.
The walking was pretty much a grind today - walking along the metre or so wide strip beside a busy bitumen road. There were km markers and I had to countdown from about 25. It is a little dispiriting though it is amazing how quickly the kms tick over.
I generally walk each km between 10 and 11 minutes - 5 1/2 to 6 kph. It is as regular as clockwork. I mainly navigate with my watch - if a point (say a creek crossing) is 3km away, I know I can switch off for 30 minutes and only then do I need to look out for it. Or if I come to a road jUnction and it is 40 minutes since the last village, I look on the map for a road junction about 4km from the village.
I literally do switch off - go into a meditative state that almost shuts out the traffic noise. Not quite, as I am always aware of vehicles approaching, and for this reason can't listen to music while I am walking.
I was restored in mind and body at Billites. Anna booked my accomodation for tonight and tomorrow night (at Dobele) and I have planned out the remaining (few) days.
In two days time, I will walk from Dobele to Lake Zebrus, and it seems from the comment from Janis that he will also be walking. That will be fantastic. Janis is very good company and the walking that day looks promising. And if Marcis and Nita will be at Zebrus, I will be very well looked after.
The walking after Zebrus will be long and tough but also promises to be very interesting - I am particularly looking forward to seeing the old Red Army base near Priekule.

I am beginning to think about the end. I am trying not to get ahead of myself. Today I passed 500kms and am now west of Riga for the first time. But as each day passes, the objective seems achievable.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham, you're amazing!Just caught up with your journey - what a wonderful way to see the countryside! With the end in sight, I hope you are able transcend your aches, pains (dare I say - blister?)and enjoy the ezperience. Best wishes, Linda Ozers (and Janis Cecins, too).

Anonymous said...

I didnt realise the full extent of what you were doing!! 700 kms.. just mindblowing... Your blog is really well written, I feel like Im there. All the best with it, stay safe, make sure you eat well when you get the chance, and i look forward to hearing about your grand arrival at the baltic - i can imagine the relief you will feel as you dip your exhausted feet in the water. Regards from all of us here, we miss you and look forward to you coming back. By the way, I dont mean to make you homesick, but the Melb Writers Festival is about to start!! Love, Litsa

Anonymous said...

Hi Graham,

This is terrific. I think you should stop work and do the research for a book called "Walk around the World".

Was thinking of you last weekend as Chris and I camped out in 1 degree and sleet to test our equipment for Tasmania in February (the overland track). It was only in our backyard, but it's a start.

Keep enjoying and blogging,
Love Christina

Anonymous said...

Graham, I should have thought of this earlier, is there anything you would like to ask of my geography students? I have classes tomorrow.
PÄ“teris

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is Janis. I have 2 questions concerning tomorow. 1st. if possible write down the name of the hotel where You are staying tonight so that I can find it tomorow morning. And second - is there anything You want me to bring with me for You? The weather promisees to be really hot and humid (+28C) with some showers possible. Janis