Saturday 9 August 2008

Day 12 - Near Zaube to Licupe

15km (360km) - 3 hours - weather, fine then rain

I feel like I have had the day off today - minimal walking and then participating in the activities at Licupe. Lija's concert started at 4pm and was attended by the parents and friends of the 47 students.
The students are aged between 11 and 17. Lija has been sleeping in a room with 4 girls who live in Latvia. They participate in classes about language, history, art, jewelry making, as well as singing and folk dancing. Lija also helped edit the camp journal. She has had a great time and wants to return next year, and the next...
The concert showcased all the activities they had participated in, particularly singing and dancing. The concert was held outside with the manor house in the background. Fortunately the rain held off.

I had a late breakfast at Gunta's and then headed off with Anita who walked with me over the creek and up to the road to Taurupe. When I came to the railway line, I saw that it was not now in use and decided to follow it.

Walking on train tracks (the sleepers actually) is not that easy if you have a full stride. But it made a change to road-walking. Perhaps it could be Latvia's first rail-trail, and be extended past the rail terminus at Ergli and on to Gaizinkalns.
With only a few kms to go, Anita phoned to say that there was a storm on the way. It had clouded over and a cold wind sprang up. I put on my jacket and overpants and walked the last 3km in the rain.
My gear was not wholly successful. The pack probably needs a cover. Fortunately, everything was in plastic bags and didn't get wet. The jacket 'sweats' and I was kept dry from the outside, but got damp from the inside.
At the camp (held at the Licupe manor house), I consulted Pauline, the camp nurse, about my blister. She suggested I let it take its own course and gave me a number of dressings to use once it bursts.
Anita and Gunta drove over for the concert and Lija was very pleased to see us. She has settled in amazingly well and seems to have been very popular. She also has the advantage of riding on the back of Jana's goodwill with her friends who were assistants at the camp.
I am staying the night at the camp and it promises to be pretty noisy - the older students don't expect to get to bed. I have about 34km tomorrow so I should get some hours up before the party really gets going.
Mark reported that he and Marcis completed the half marathon today - not his best time but 1:46 was not bad in the circumstances.
It is Matiss' birthday today. The celebration started early as Mark and Janis are off to the 'Brainstorm' concert at Mezaparks.
Gunta booked my next 3 nights accommodation yesterday. I will then stay at another friend's house. The detour to include visiting Esmeralda and Gunta probably added 3days and about 100kms but their hospitality made it very worthwhile. They could not have done more for me.
I understand that that the Olympics have started. When I do see a television it will be interesting to see the concentration on the Latvian participants. Mark said that Latvia beat Russia in the basketball to make it to the Games, and there is the potential for a Latvia-Australia semi-final.
I think that the sport of cross-country should be introduced at the next Games, though I suppose competitors from nations such as Luxemburg or Tuvalu would be at a disadvantage if the Games were held in a large country, like China.

2 comments:

Lija Andersone said...

it was fun and i didnt even realise that you were tacking photos of!!ha ha ha Lija

Anonymous said...

Hi Yudge! Loving your updates and following you across the country...what a fascinating place. I hope your Latvian is improving rapidly.
All well in Canada - off camping and hiking this weekend at a nearby provincial park. No real news to speak of though. Home at xmas for 2 weeks of Aussie time.

Hi to your walk "assistants" Anita and Lija!
Keep striding!
CLARE
x